Thursday, February 06, 2014

My One Word: Generous

At our church this year, we were encouraged to pick one word to inspire you all year.  (myoneword.org) A word that would focus your attention on what you wanted to be this year.  My one word is Generous.  My theme verse is 2 Corinthians 9:11 - "You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God."  I'm not there yet. Not even close. But that is what I am striving to be, hence my one word.  So I have been thinking a lot lately about generosity and a few examples come to my mind.

I think of my friend Kio.  She grew up in Pohnpei and came to the U.S when my missionary relatives came back to the states.  When I went to school at ACU she also lived in Abilene very close to the college.  She lived in a tiny little room that she rented.  She had very little to offer when it came to material possessions.  But everything she had was something she could give.  When it was my birthday she gave me money.  When I graduated she gave me money.  She made things for people. She gave what she had.  When I think of generous, I think of Kio.

I think of many people who have generously brought us food or provided money for food when we have had difficult seasons of sickness.  But one recently stuck out to me.  One of Kasey's good friends has on multiple occasions brought us Four Rivers barbecue.  That's the good stuff.  She doesn't have much to give and I know its a sacrifice for her, but she generously gives in order to provide for us.

The thing about being generous is it is connected to how much you have.  These stories stick out because they are acts of generosity despite having very little to give. This is why Jesus was so impressed with the widow in Luke 21.  Because she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.  So I'm trying to figure out what  "generous" looks like for me.  Because I am not in poverty.  Which means in order to be as generous as the widow or a Kio or Kasey's friend, that means I have to step it  up a notch...or a few notches.

Since I learn and am inspired by others, what are some examples of generous people you have seen in your lives?  Let's give out some generosity awards!! They probably wouldn't want the recognition, but they deserve it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home